Every non-emergency medical transportation company may have a slightly different definition for what defines long distance transportation. Around here, we consider long distance to be any trip that totals 150 miles or more.
Long distance medical transportation is available to people who can walk, as well as people who require a wheelchair. Stretcher and bariatric patients can also enlist long distance non-emergency medical transportation to travel to a neighboring county, or clear across the US. Traveling by vehicle is often ideal over traveling by air, especially if the trip takes less than 24 hours to complete or totals 1,500 miles or less.
When you ride with Stellar Transportation, you can rest assured that you or your loved one is in the best of care. Additional drivers are available by request, and all of our drivers are highly trained to deliver superior service and safety.
How Much Does Long Distance Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Cost?
Cost fluctuates more with long distance transportation than it does with local transportation for a few key reasons. For one, the itinerary, duration, and specific needs of the individual vary from case to case. Therefore, many different factors can add or subtract from the equation.
Common reasons long distance medical transportation costs vary:
- The number of drivers needed will vary based upon things like level of ongoing care and assistance to the patient.
- The duration of the trip – how many stops will need to be made along the way? Is it an overnight drive?
- Do you need a ride back or is it a one-way trip?
- What type of transportation is needed; stretcher, bariatric, wheelchair, fully mobile individual?
Is anyone ineligible for long distance transportation?
Typically, patients who need a ventilator or a tracheostomy are not eligible for long distance transportation. Patients in need of Basic Life Support do qualify for long distance transportation. Cancer, lung and heart conditions, as well as Alzheimer’s disease and mobility issues; these are all common ailments of patients who require long distance transportation. Traveling by vehicle is often less stressful on patients than going through an airport and boarding a plane. That’s why medical professionals often recommend long distance transportation by vehicle as opposed to flying.
Perks of Riding with Stellar Transportation
We welcome you to enjoy first-class service no matter if you are traveling locally or long distance. Some perks of riding with us include:
- We only use newer model vehicles that are in top-notch condition, as well as cleaned and serviced regularly.
- Vehicles are outfitted with safety features
- Our drivers are certified in Defensive Driving and undergo Senior Sensitivity Training.
- Vehicles are equipped with monitoring systems to ensure drivers are using safe practices on the roadway.
- Transporters are drug, alcohol, and smoke-free.
- We can send up to 5 drivers depending on your needs. Plus, EMTs are available by request.
- Request the music you want to hear – our goal is to make passengers as comfortable as possible.